Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sabrina's Brochure Spotlight: Six Flags Great America 2005


Since we're on the topic of B&Ms today, I chose a park which happens to have a great one. Better grab a jacket, because we're heading to the Windy City! (And then...you know...driving north for about an hour. Close enough.)

There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but apparently there is such a thing as a free water park. More on that in a minute. First I need to talk about the aforementioned B&M, since this is the only place you'll get a glimpse of it in this brochure.

For whatever reasons that I don't fully understand, Raging Bull tends to get no love from the enthusiast community. Why, my friends?? It just so happens that I visited Six Flags Great America in 2005 and LOVED this coaster. As a matter of fact, I wish some park--any park--would enlist B&M to build another one of these hyper twisters. I was holding out hope for Carowinds, but alas, it was not to be. Not that there's anything wrong with hyper out-and-backs, mind you! It's just that they've become so...ordinary in recent years. (My oh my has somebody become spoiled!! I think I'm going to have to give myself a time-out for that remark...)

This brochure marks the first year that Six Flags Great America was able to add the "2 Great Parks...1 Great Price" tag line to its marketing repertoire. All at once they had a water park, and it made a pretty impressive debut. Let's take a closer look.

The Caribbean-themed Hurricane Harbor ushered in the era of water attractions at Great America with 25 water slides, a wave pool, and an "adventure river". It also featured Skull Island, which at the time was the world's largest interactive water play structure. Not too shabby for a newborn water park.

Now that we're all caught up in the excitement of Hurricane Harbor, let's take a step back and recall that Six Flags Great America features lots of exciting dry rides, too! But since the great majority of this brochure focuses on the water park, you'll have to take Mr. Six's word for it. (Feel free to take my word for it as well. That is, if I haven't completely discredited myself with that "ordinary B&M" comment.)

Six Flags Great America gate price: In 2005, probably somewhere in the $40-$50 range.

Upgrading to a Multi-Visit Pass: A "nominal fee".

Admission to Hurricane Harbor: Priceless!

I can't vouch for all of these operating days, but I can tell you with certainty that July 14, 2005 was a beautiful day at Six Flags Great America!

What? Don't tell me you're actually surprised that I save ticket stubs. It's all about the paper, people. The paper.


0 comments: