Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kings Island 1989 Souvenir Map


This is a pretty fun map to take a look at. It has no printed date on it (that I saw, anyway) but going off of the very detailed list of park additions on Wiki I've narrowed it down to the park's 1989 season.


I'm splitting the map into parts so that when clicked on the images retain their full detail.  This portion is certainly dominated by the Racer, as it should be.  Also take note of the Wild Animal Habitat, still going strong with its monorail taking guests through.

Coney Mall was one of the park's most prominent areas at the time, and still is today.  Some of the rides seen here are still at the park, while others have been retired.


Many big changes have taken place in the sections of the park seen here.  Vortex was thrilling riders in the upper left, while the Beast departed into the woods on the upper right.  Today Diamondback straddles most of this area, you can see it's starting point filled with swans on the map.  Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal - the park's second log flume - was also still flowing.

Waterworks, which is currently transforming into Soak City, was new just the season before this map was drawn.  Also on the left are the Flying Eagles and the car ride, currently home to the Backlot Stunt Coaster.


It was a bit of a bummer to have to separate the map right down the center of International Street, the left half of which is seen here.  Oktoberfest was the land guests encountered if they chose to turn left - Amazon Falls was a recent addition at the time.  Both King Cobra, the park's now removed stand-up coaster, and the Ferris Wheel were present as well.


Winterfest, what's that?  I kid - though the map was use for the Summer season why not promote the winter activities as well?

If guests turned right at the end of International Street they soon entered what was then known as Hanna-Barbera Land.  Even in '89 this section of the park was more elaborate than many other park's kiddie lands.  Anchored by the Beastie, a junior wooden coaster, the area shows plenty of rides and attractions for little ones.  Today it is currently Planet Snoopy, with a bit of a Nickelodeon phase in between themes as well.

Fun to see how much the park has changed, and also what has stuck around!


4 comments:

Scott and Carol said...

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane! I miss some of those rides, the the Flying Eagles & KCKC, but overall the park has made some good
choices with their newer additions

Unknown said...

Woah, where in the world did you find this, Mike? I clearly remember this park map from a Kings Island trip planning guide my family had when I was a little kid. I still remember how those vertical loops on the Vortex look like the train is going through them sideways (instead of upside-down)! Awesome.

Unknown said...

I remember this map or at least it's 1987 predecessor. I was 11 years old in 1987 and the Vortex was new. My mom took me and my 13 yr old cousin one summer's day. We rode the the Vtex 13 times, till I was barely able to stand! We grabbed a burger and coke then rode until close!

It was a great summer and a great memory, before life got complicated and things weren't as simple.

My boys are 5 and 7 today, I can't wait to make those same type of memories with them.

Crystal said...

Great post! I have the newest version of the map hanging right above my computer - it's so interesting to see what has changed.

On a different note, I love the detail of the International Street buildings and all the people walking around the park!